Saturday 4 October 2014

Mobile technology for teaching

Over the last couple of weeks on the PCET course we have been touching on the topic of mobile technology in the teaching environment. In my own teaching practise, I have been fortunate enough to have had opportunities to expand on my use of technology (interactive whiteboard, video and audio clips), however, mobile technology is still a relatively new concept.
The reason for this come from the fact that my teaching experience come mainly from the secondary education, particularly within schools who have strict policies against such devices being used, which is a shame as it is my opinion that mobile technology could enhance the learning experience, rather than distract from it (as most teachers seem to fear).

Over the last few weeks on the PCET, mobile technology has become a hot topic, as well as the ways that it could be integrated into the teaching practise and classroom environment. Mobile tech (in my opinion), when used effectively can become a vital tool in a teachers practise, enabling classroom discussion, group activities or any number of tasks which can improve the learning standard.

In a recent ICT session the topic abuse or teasing among younger learners with regards to 'gadgets' was raised, which I would admit has always been a concern of mine when it comes to integrating technology into my own practise.  However, an interesting point was made that any abuse or teasing would take place regardless, as such things have been a factor prior to the introduction of such tech. I have never looked at it in such a way and I must admit, this realisation has enabled me to breath a sigh of relief and reassured my faith in the value of teaching using mobile devices as I have always hoped to use technology in my practice regardless.

Personally, I have been debating the pros and cons of purchasing an iPad for myself. Seeing the benefits it could have to my teaching practise and the benefits it could have to the learners as a result has made a purchase all but certain. watch this space, in all likelihood future posts will be closed with the infamous 'sent from my iPad' message.

image: http://www.whittington-school.co.uk/page/?pid=102 (Via Google images)

No comments:

Post a Comment