Sunday 2 November 2014

Teaching tools: Adobe Shape CC



Adobe shape: A teaching tool



Over the last few weeks I have been paying more attention to the variety of apps out there and trying to asses their value in the teaching environment. These days application marketplaces (such as apples App Store for example) will often point you in the direction of such apps by categorising them, thus making the hunt for great apps much simpler. 
The app I've decided to look at today is Adobe shape. Now I'm a big fan of teaching environments which are big on handouts, so this one was an excellent addition to my ever growing list of resources.

What is it?

Essentially, the app is used to make accurate sketch-like images form an image take with your phones camera. The app is ideal in situations where you find an excellent image in a text book for example, which would be a great help to your teaching. Rather than copying it by hand or going down the road of scanning and importing, Shape does it all in moments (as seen in the images bellow).
Over the last few days I have been experimenting with the app itself and have begun to include it within some resources, which I hope to use in future practice. 
The app is free of charge (at this time) on the App Store (not sure if it is available on other platforms or devices) so it's worth downloading just to experiment with. 




Here is an example I did using the application of the polar field of a microphone. The 4 images (scanned individually and collected as one) show the process the app takes as it scans through the outline of an image, which I took from a text book, effectively rendering it as an image ready to use. If i had tried to copy this by hand I assure you it would have been by no means accurate without various measurements, however, as Shape saves the file as an image, you can resize it and add it to various worksheets, handbooks, even powerpoint presentations. 
Adobe shape will save hours of time preparing resources, and although I have yet to use it in my own practice, I am already working on a number of resources which I will require the app for in the near future. You can read more about it in the link bellow.


Resources
LeFebvre, R. (2014). Real life becomes a vector with Adobe's Shape CC.Available: http://www.cultofmac.com/299107/real-life-becomes-vector-adobes-shape-cc/. Last accessed 2nd Nov 2014.




1 comment:

  1. I think that you must have copies this image rather than uploaded it. Blogger don't keep images properly unless you upload them. Good post though, although you could make big improvements with hyperlinks for additional explanations of the technical terms etc. Make it more 'webised'

    ReplyDelete